Growing up in The Bahamas meant that we never really experienced seasons. The only indicator we really had of season changes was my mom changing out the decorations every so often. Spring was always the most important. She took Spring Cleaning to a new level, it always felt like Spring was an opportunity to start over. This was and still is one of the things I admire most about my mom as a home maker, her ability to make the house feel like home every day! Following my mom’s lead, here are a few things you can do now, to Spring forward and get everyone in the “season”:
- Fresh Flowers: nothing says SPRING like a nice set of flowers, Whether it is hand picked or store bought, flowers can brighten up a room, enhance the feel of the home and bring joy.
2. Closet Clean Out: out with the old and in with the new, or so the saying goes. Getting rid of old clothes and last season fits makes room for the spring dresses and sandals that will be added.
3. Rearrange Furniture: Keeping your home fresh and attractive doesnt mean buying new furniture every season (unless you got it like that). Simply rearranging furniture to add excitement may be all you need!
4. Add Pillows: I love me a good pillow! Adding themes each season to your home furniture allows you to give old furniture a new look and feel for every time.
5. Renovate the Bathrooms: this can be as simple or as complex as needed; but a spring bathroom renovation can definitely change the feel of your home.
6. Pain the walls: this can be done outside or inside or both, find a color that is “spring ready” and switch it up a little.
7. Plant flowers: yes we know placing flowers in your home is a sure way to brighten up the inside, but what about planting flowers outside and starting a garden, Spring is definitely the best time to get started
8. Bake Fresh Cookies Daily: Okay, it doesn’t have to be cookies and it doesn’t have to be every day, but warm fresh baked cookies just gives the smell of a warm Spring day, am I right?
9. Add a Wreath: my mom did this trick well! She created a faux wreath once a year and swapped out the decorations for each season. It was an affordable and fun way to keep things fresh.
10. Make sure home smells like Spring: Flowers are great but adding a touch of Spring by placing candles and diffusers throughout the house is a great way to keep things fresh. Some of my favorite scents for the season include: Citrus, Cherry Blossom, Lavender, Fresh Linen, Water Lily and Amber just to name a few.